Sunday, September 19, 2010

A crispy resolution!


Crispy Apple Crisp

Nothing gives a crisp more crisp than a nut! To be specific...a pecan!
I chopped about 1 cup really fine. Making the nut really fine makes the crisp part crunchy!


I decided to make this crisp AFTER I went grocery shopping...I usually put rolled oats in my topping...but did not have any. Next best thing (not as healthy...but certainly as crunchy)...Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
 I crushed up 1 cup and added it to my pecans in a bowl.
To that I added several tbs. of brown sugar and white sugar.
A heaping tbs. of flour
1/2 stick of butter chopped into little cubes.
Mixed all of that until it looked like it all belonged together and the butter had disappeared into the ingredients.
I set the crispy to the side.



7 large apples...I LOVE GALA apples. Sliced thin. The thinner you slice them the quicker the crisp will cook.
To the apples I added 1 tbs.cinnamon, 1 tbs.lemon juice, 1 tbs. flour 1 tbs. white sugar, 1 tsp. salt.
I put it in this glass dish...it is the one smaller than then the 9x13
(I am too comfy to get up and go look at the exact measurements)

Dump the crispy...that you set aside on top of the apples in the pan.

Bake in a 375 degree oven until bubbly and testing the apples to make sure they are soft with a knife.



Yup it really is as good as it looks. I will never do crisp without Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal again!
I hope you try it! Please don't forget the vanilla ice cream with it...as if you would!

I made a resolution...decision today.
It was such a joy to make dinner all day (I made a big roasted chicken with all the sides) ...
and had my family over.
Do you ever have moments where you feel most like yourself? Does that make sense?
I really feel like me...listening to the boys watch football, hearing my daughter play the piano, the dog and cat chasing each other, and me in the kitchen cooking.
It's just me.
I love the sounds the smells, the joy..and yes the moments of chaos.
It warms me from the inside out...just like this yummy crisp!
So...the resolution.
I decided today to have a family over for dinner 1 Sunday a month.
My mom used to do this EVERY Sunday.
Wow if I had known then how much it takes I would have helped more!
We (husband and kiddos) are going to write down all of the names of the families we would like to have over, put them in a hat and pick one a month!
I will post each  meal I do so you can keep up!
I'm gonna call it...Sunday's at the Cottage...

Crispy Kisses and Resolution Sunday's,
Tracey






5 comments:

  1. I think our names should be in there several times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still making your apple pie every fall after a trip to Boyd's Orchard! We all love it!

    Wish we could be one of those families, but I guess that would be a bit difficult over 800 miles away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't figure out what dessert to bring to my sisters house for Thanksgiving....but you just answered that question! What a Great fall dessert idea!

    ReplyDelete