Wednesday, March 17, 2010

It's not green but it's a vegetable!


I know it's not green...but...I LOVE eggplant...I know its a little weird-but this purple vegetable has been my very favorite ever since I was in pigtales.


It all started because of one dish my mom mastered...


Fried eggplant parmesan...It starts with slicing the eggplant really thin, then dipping them in
a beaten egg and milk, and then into a mixture of flour,salt, pepper and parmesan cheese. Then fry it in olive oil on medium high heat. Lightly salt them when they come out and let dry on a cookie rack lined with paper towels! Yummmm...I can hardly keep enough
to make the parmesan! Great memories of childhood and my
moms amazing cooking (lots of her recipies to come).


Make one layer of eggplant on a cookie sheet (one layer will keep the eggplant crispy).
Cover with your favorite sauce (we only use RAGU chunky-tomatoes, onion and garlic-in this house)
Then cover with mozzerella...fresh is best..but shredded will do. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes or untill golden and ohh so bubbly.


One large eggplant feeds our family of four (thats with a few sneaks right out of the frying pan).
I have the BEST mom, who also happens to be the best cook...ask anyone who graced the table they will agree! I am so blessed to have had the opportunity to stand over her shoulder for so many years to watch, listen and learn. I am convinced that after my husbands first meal at my moms house...I had him...he was under the "spell".... I will bring you many more of her simple and not so simple recipies...worth every minute making them!
    So...a not so green dish for this St. P's day...but still a veggie! Much Love....and cooking...Tracey

p.s. The kids love it too...they will eat any vegetable covered in cheese and sauce!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so thrilled to have this recipe.....I can testify that your mom's cooking is out of this world delicious...the only woman that can compare...is my mom :) love you friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always to make this but never had a recipe for it ~ I'm lucky that my boys love every vegetable so I'm sure this will be a hit. I don't eat dairy so I'll let you know how the non dairy cheese works on it - it's always an experiment!
    thanks! :) Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true about kids eating any veggie covered with cheese and sauce!!! This looks great! I am going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so yummy! I will be making this next week when I am back to cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious!!!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and for leaving a sweet comment. :)
    I love that you told your mom you loved her today. That makes my heart happy. It's so nice to meet you. YOu have a beautiful family and I can tell you will have a great blog. Welcome to blogland. You will be blessed daily by so many amazing women. I know I have.
    Please stop by often and say hello.
    Blessings,
    Traci

    ReplyDelete